Pages

Thursday 18 October 2012

How to change the background in Blogger

Changing your background on your blog
 
One of the really nice things about having a blog is showing your individuality. So of course I wanted my background to reflect my personality. Being new to blogger it was a little scary but I do like to play around with things. I am definately not an expert so this is just friendly advice :) 
 
 This is how I changed my background.
 
I started in my blog dashboard. On the left hand side you will see the options above.
 
(Click on the pictures to enlarge them if you can not see clearly.) 
 
Go all the way down to template and click on it. A new menu will open which will look like the one below. Click on customise.
 
 
The next menu that comes up will be the template designer. This is where you can customise your backgrounds and lettering. Click on the second one down which is of course background.
 
 
 
You will now see the options for changing the background. There will be a square that has the current background showing in it. Underneath it says 'remove background'. Click on this.
 
Double click inside the now empty square and a menu will pop up that lets you browse your computer for a new background. Something to keep in mind here however, is that it must be under 300kb which is quite small.
 
Option 1. Choose a small seamless tile image, once uploaded check the tile option. This will cover your blog in a repeat pattern.
 
Option 2. Save the background you want at a lower resolution. I put mine in photoshop, save as a JPG and play around with the saving options until I am able to get it under 300. This can sometimes be tricky and sometimes requires you to save, reopen and save again at a lower resolution. This will also mean the clarity of your work can suffer.
 
Option 3. Open the background that you want in photoshop. Click on the windows symbol on the bottom tool bar. Click on 'all programs' and find 'Snipping tool'. Click on this, then snip exactly around the background paper and save. This will be a low resolution image but good enough for a background.
 
I then ticked the box which says scroll with page. Try it both ways and see which you like
 
I changed the color of my words using the 'Main color theme' and chose a color to match my paper.
 
Finally there is a big orange box on the upper right hand side that says 'apply to blog' click on this to save your background.
 
The best bit is checking out your blog to see what it looks like. I found it took a few tries before I settled on a paper I liked.
 
Have fun changing your background. I look forward to seeing them.
 
Claire
 

No comments:

Post a Comment